Today (April 7) is World Health day and since combustible cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable death across the U.S., it only seemed appropriate to focus on how quitting smoking with e-cigs can greatly improve a user’s health and well-being over time. Since we don’t want to sound like a broken record, if you’ve heard about all of the advantages below, perhaps you could send this article to a loved one in need?
What is World Health Day?
This global health awareness day has been celebrated annually on April 7 since 1948, under the sponsorship of the World Health Organization. The best part is that each year is aimed at spreading knowledge about a specific health theme or priority of concern. While this year’s focus is on worldwide sustainability—clean water and energy, climate action, and responsible consumption—combustible cigarette smoking often ties well into each World Health Day. After all, there has got to be a more clean and sustainable nicotine replacement therapy!
How do the health benefits of quitting smoking add up?
While most smokers know that the use of tobacco is damaging to their health, many refuse to quit because they simply think it’s too late for them. The truth is that the sooner you quit, the sooner your body can begin healing, greatly reducing your chances of developing cancers and other diseases.
- 20 minutes after quitting: Your heart rate and blood pressure drop.
- A few days after quitting: The carbon monoxide levels in your blood go back to normal.
- One to two months after quitting: Side effects like coughing and shortness of breath begin to subside. The cilia (tiny hairs within your nose) also regain their functionality, which helps to clean nasal passages and lungs and reduce your risk of infection.
- One to two years after quitting: Your risk of having a heart attack drops.
- Five to ten years after quitting: Your risk of developing cancers in the mouth, throat, and larynx is cut in half, while your stroke risk also decreases.
- Ten to 15 years after quitting: The risk of developing lung cancer is now about half that of a person who is still smoking. You also have a decreased risk of other cancers such as bladder, esophagus, and kidney.
- 15+ years after quitting: The chances you will develop a coronary disease are now in line with that of a non-smoker.
The physical health benefits are endless from the moment you quit smoking. Needless to say, all the above is only achievable if you can throw away your combustible cigarettes for good. While quitting cold turkey is the most desirable method, most people successfully quit smoking with e-cigs.
Why are some benefits that smokers notice when they switch to e-cigs?
Kicking the tobacco habit offers rewards that ex-smokers notice pretty quickly after they start their journey as a vaper. Here are some of them:
- Food tastes better
- Their sense of smell is heightened
- Their breath, hair, and clothes smell better
- Their teeth and fingernails stop yellowing
- Ordinary activities are not as challenging (climbing stairs, vacuuming, etc.)
- Less bothersome to those around them
Which of the above benefits appeals to you the most? Drop a comment below to compare with other readers.